Even with the best dental care and products, many people still suffer from bad breath and tooth decay. Bad breath can be embarrassing and tooth decay can lead to serious, painful and expensive dental procedures. But healthy teeth and fresh breath are easy to come by, if you combine a healthy diet and proper brushing with our homemade mouthwash.
In this post, I am going to show you how you can create a mouthwash that will get rid of bad breath and help prevent tooth decay. This effective mouthwash is inexpensive and easy to make using simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
Cavities, tooth decay and bad breath are caused by processed foods and drinks that contain high amounts of refined sugars. When you eat the microorganisms in your mouth convert the sugars into acids, which creates bad breath. The acids then begin to break down tooth enamel and over time this can lead to tooth decay. In order to prevent bad breath and tooth decay you have to neutralize the acids in your mouth after eating.
Commercially produced toothpastes and mouthwashes can help you control bad breath and prevent tooth decay, but those products are expensive and often contain unnatural dyes, preservatives and unnecessary ingredients.
Commercially produced toothpastes and mouthwashes typically cost $3 and up, as you have to pay for packaging that is bad for the environment and advertising. I like to make my own mouthwash because I know what’s in it, there is no disposable container to throw away and it costs just a fraction of the price of commercially produced products.
This recipe for homemade mouthwash will give you a strong foundation for healthy teeth and clean breath. Along the way you can reduce waste from unnecessary packaging, use a healthy natural product free from preservatives and dyes and save money.
How to Make Homemade Mouthwash
- 500 ml / 2 cups of lukewarm distilled water
- 40 g / 1 ½ ounces of xylitol (birch sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- an empty glass bottle with screw cap
Place all the ingredients in the screw-top bottle, put the lid on and shake vigorously. After a few minutes all the ingredients will dissolve in the water – your homemade mouthwash is ready to use!
To use just take a sip and swish it around in your mouth for about a minute, then spit it out. You can use your mouthwash every morning, after brushing your teeth or anytime you want a clean fresh mouth. There is no need to rinse with water as that would remove the protective film of xylitol.
How this Homemade Mouthwash Works
- The baking soda neutralizes acid contained in the mouth and thus prevents erosion of the tooth enamel.
- Xylitol (birch sugar) prevents the development of cavities. Studies have shown that regular intake can even reduce existing cavities. The xylitol eliminates the causes of cavities and enables remineralization of tooth enamel. Unlike normal sugar, it can not be metabolized by the decay-causing bacteria. We also make toothpaste and cough drops with birch sugar. There are even chewing gums with Xylitol to improve the health of your teeth.
- When used regularly, it reduces the formation of plaque and tartar.
- With a few drops of peppermint oil, the mouthwash tastes pleasantly fresh and ensures good breath.
To ensure the best dental health you have to combine a healthy diet, with good dental care which includes regular brushing, flossing, using mouthwash and getting regular check-ups with your dentist.
If you like the mouthwash or you have tips or suggestions, please leave us a comment!