Homemade Deodorant – Easy, Safe & Quick
Commercially made antiperspirants and deodorants are a hotly debated topic. Many antiperspirants and deodorants contain aluminum compounds that are highly questionable. Aluminum compounds can be easily absorbed through the skin and are linked to many health problems including many types of cancer.
For most people not using a deodorant or antiperspirant is not realistic as smelling like body odor isn’t acceptable for most jobs or even being around family and friends. There are aluminum free alternatives available for purchase, but they are expensive and can still contain preservatives and artificial fragrances.
I started making my own homemade deodorant and it’s easy, safe and quick and best of all, I know exactly what’s in it.
We’ve made roll on deodorant without aluminum, but I personally prefer a solid deodorant. You don’t have to wait for solid deodorant to dry and it also moisturizers the sensitive skin of the armpit. As most women apply deodorant after shaving when the skin can be irritated, using natural oils and butters can relieve irritation while eliminating body odors.
This natural deodorant is made with coconut oil and shea butter which both moisturize and nourish skin while the baking soda, clay and cocoa butter absorb odors.
Ingredients Solid Deodorant
- 1 ounce / 30g coconut oil
- half an ounce / 15g shea butter
- half an ounce / 15g cocoa butter
- 2 ounces / 65g soda
- half an ounce / 15g medicinal clay / sodium bentonite (Optional. If not available, just add another half ounce /15g of soda)
- about 6-8 drops of essential oils to add aroma (sage, rosemary, lavender, peppermint, etc.)
- an empty deodorant stick or cup cake liners
Steps to create aluminum free deodorant bars
- Place the cocoa butter, shea butter, and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler and heat until everything is melted, remove from heat and add the dry ingredients and essential oil, stir very well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the deodorant sticks or cup cake liners.
- Allow to cool completely until oils are solid, you can place in the fridge if you want to speed things up.
That’s it. Making your own deodorant sticks or bars is simple and easy.
The deodorant bars are also perfect for travelling or to give as gifts, just place one into a small metal box or wrap it in some wax paper.
For more recipes for homemade body care products go to: Green Beauty Recipes: Easy Homemade Recipes to Make Your Own Natural and Organic Skincare, Hair Care, and Body Care Products:
Making your own deodorant helps you live a healthier more natural life. What products do you make yourself to live healthier or to save money, tell us in the comments section below!
Comments are closed.
Looks like a lot of trouble. I use baking soda by itself. Have a little jar of it, wet armpits and then two finger, dip into jar and apply to armpits. I’ve been doing that for at least 15 years. I found that it lasts longer than Old Spice stick deodorant. No complaints from wife or any others about body odor. I also brush my teeth with plain baking soda. Been doing that for about 40 years. No complaints from dentist.